March 20, 2012

My Lost Shaker of Salt...


Vacation.  Just the word alone makes us feel lighter, happier and less stressed.  Why is it that we allow ourselves things on vacation we rarely would otherwise?


We indulge in foods we normally deprive ourselves of, we sleep late, we are a little more laid back and allow ourselves a few adult beverages with colorful umbrellas peeking out of them or in my case, a salted rim.

Coming back to reality from vacation is rarely a pleasure, but what I'm trying to learn is how to have a "vacation" frame of mind even when I can't get away.

Not that I'll be quitting my job and spending my days on a beach, as lovely as that sounds, but trying to allow myself a bit more leeway when it comes to certain things.


We tend to get so caught up in our everyday stresses that sometimes it feels as if life is passing us by while we are paying bills, cleaning the house, doing laundry, cooking dinner, washing clothes, doing yard work, etc.

Perhaps it is because I'm getting older and realizing that the dishes can wait until tomorrow once in a while or the laundry isn't going anywhere.  I am going to try to be less rigid with the demands I make upon myself in hopes that even when I'm stuck at work and have no hope of feeling the sun on my face or the sand beneath my toes that I can still close my eyes, taste the salted rim of my margarita glass and have a vacation frame of mind...
 
 
My Girl Margarita
 makes 2
  • 2 1/2 - 3 oz good quality tequila
  • 2 oz triple sec or Grand Marnier
  • 3 oz freshly squeezed lime juice (save a lime to wet the rim of the glass after you've juiced it)
  • kosher salt
  • ice cubes
  1. Fill a small saucer with kosher salt.  Just deep enough to coat the rim of the glass.
  2. Run the lime around the edge of the glass then dip in salt.
  3. Combine tequila, triple sec/Grand Marnier, lime juice and ice in a stainless steel cocktail shaker and shake (vigorously) for 5 - 10 seconds.
  4. Pour evenly into 2 glasses.  Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment