July 31, 2012

Little Green Courgette...

Farmer's Market Summer Squash & Zucchini


Anything that has "fritter" in it's name, sign me up. 
I mean honestly, how bad can it be?!  I feel justified in making these because they are green, which as we all know means they're healthy...

Well, they are made from zucchini and that should count for something, shouldn't it?  The simplicity of this recipe should also count for something.  

When most of you think of zucchini, you don't exactly jump up and down with glee do you? 
Truth be told, I do.  I love it.  It is without a doubt one of my favorite vegetables. 

I like it in soups, battered and fried alongside a beer, shaved into ribbons and tossed with pasta... I adore it on the grill with it's smoky char marks beckoning me to eat more and I like a good zucchini bread as much as the next girl, but of the hundreds of things you can do with zucchini, this is a pretty tasty option.

It is my new favorite summer supper...  The transformation of this common, less than illustrious vegetable into something extraordinary is supremely satisfying.



Zucchini Fritters
  • 1 lb. zucchini (about 2 medium)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 shallot
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
  • olive oil for frying
  • sour cream for serving

Grate zucchini on large side of box grater or put in food processor and shred.  I would normally use the food processor, but the idea of lugging it out and then washing everything seemed more of a hassle than it was worth for 5 minutes of grating.

Mix the shredded zucchini with a teaspoon of kosher salt and set inside a fine mesh colander over a bowl to drain.  Place a small plate on top to weigh it down.  I usually put a can or jar of something on top of the plate for added weight.  Let zucchini drain for 30 minutes.


Wrap zucchini in a clean dish towel, or cheesecloth and squeeze excess water out (there will be alot of it)  This will prevent your fritters from being mushy and what you want is that super crisp crust on the outside!

Heat olive oil in a medium heavy bottomed pan over medium to medium-high heat.


In a medium bowl, combine eggs, shallot, lemon zest, salt, pepper and cheese.  Whisk together, then add zucchini and lemon juice.  Stir in flour and mix until combined. 
When I make potato pancakes, I always add about a 1/4 tsp of baking powder.  I didn't add it here, but if you want a lighter, fluffier fritter add baking powder with the flour.

Carefully drop spoonfuls of batter into hot oil, about 2 inches in diameter.  Cook for a few minutes on each side until deep golden brown.  Remove from heat and set on paper towels to absorb excess oil.

Zucchini Fritters with Sour Cream










    2 comments: