September 30, 2012

The 4 Food Groups...


Bacon, Eggs, Cheese, Pasta.   
It seems every time I make pasta, I always have leftovers.  Every. Single. Time.    I used to hear the phrase "your eyes are bigger than your stomach" on an almost daily basis and I think it may still be true.

So, seeing that sad bit of pasta hanging out in the fridge I felt the need to rescue it.  I'm not a fan of throwing food in the garbage (unless of course it has started to look like a science experiment gone horribly wrong).   With that sense of resolve,  I scanned the kitchen to see how this bit of leftover pasta could transcend its current state into something seriously good.

Staring into the refrigerator, I felt a bit like the woman from "Romper Room"...  you remember her right?   She would look through her looking glass and say the names of the kids she saw.  Every week I waited and waited to hear my name.  Never happened.  

Back to the fridge...  I saw bacon, cheese, eggs and I knew where this was going. 
Express train to delicious-ville.


Spaghetti Bites
  • 1/2 pound of cooked pasta (I used cut spaghetti, any small/short pasta will do)
  • 2 eggs, room temp
  • 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano, room temp
  • 1 small onion, diced very small
  • 5 strips bacon
  • salt & pepper

1. Cut bacon into very thin pieces and cook over medium heat until most of the fat is rendered out.


2. Add onion to pan and cook until softened and translucent.  Remove from heat and strain to remove bacon fat.  (Reserve for another use, like frying potatoes or eggs...)  Set aside to cool slightly.


3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and add cheese.  Then add bacon & onions and cooked pasta.  Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.


4.  Spoon mixture into a mini muffin tin and lightly press down.  I wanted to sprinkle extra cheese on top, but as you can see I forgot...   They were still good without it, but a crunchy, cheesy crust would've been nice!


5. Bake at 325 for 18 - 20 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy on top.



.

2 comments:

  1. Pasta Carbonara is one of my favorites. So I know I'd love this.

    ReplyDelete